UTV Utah is pleased to announce that we have been successful in our fight to open Utah’s National Parks to street Legal OHVs. We learned over the weekend that the National Park Service’s acting regional director, Palmer “Chip” Jenkins sent a memo to Utah park superintendents instructing them to align their regulations with Utah’s recently passed street-legal laws. Starting November 1 street-legal OHVs will be allowed to access Utah’s National Parks just like other vehicles can.
This is a huge victory for UTV Utah and for the OHV community. You can be assured that those who are committed to cutting off our access to public lands were not happy with this decision. We will be under intense scrutiny. We will plan to keep you up to date on this change, so that OHV users will know the rules we need to follow as we begin to enjoy our National Park.
As with any fight to protect our access, even though we scored a victory with this one, the fight will go on. We are committed to continue trailblazing for Utah’s OHV community. We appreciate everyone who has given us their support.
Here is a timeline of the steps we took to get this done:
- At the end of July we sent a letter to Secretary Bernhardt asking him to overturn the rule banning street-legal OHVs from Utah’s National Parks.
- Through August and September we gathered support from hundreds of OHV users.
- We caught the attention of Phil Lyman, and he wrote a letter of his own and got the support for our cause from other elected officials.
- Numerous supporters donated to our cause, so we could spread the word.
- On Sept 28, news broke that the National Park Service would be allowing street legal OHVs.
As you can see the process was straightforward and simple, but we couldn’t have done it without your support. And, like we said before this fight isn’t over, and we have big plans for things we want to fight for moving forward. We hope you’ll join us for the ride.
We want to send a Thank You letter to Phil Lyman, Chip Jenkins, and Secretary Bernhardt. If you would like to have your name added to this letter, fill out the form below: